|Coupar Angus is small
market town on the River Isla
The town is situated in the centre
of rich agricultural land of eastern lowland Perthshire on the fringes of
the county of Angus, an area noted for the growing of fruit and seed
potatoes. Coupar Angus itself
has food processing industry based on local agricultural production.
A Roman camp can be seen to the east
of the town as a complex of ditches and ramparts.
A Cistercian abbey was founded in 1164.
The monks of the Abbey traded with
continental Europe in wool, buying locally and exporting via Perth. In 1559
the Abbey was burned by a Reformation fuelled mob. Over the years the stone
on the buildings were removed for reuse and only a gateway remains today.
The town's Tolbooth Tower served as
a court and prison and dates from 1702.
At the end of the 18thC the linen industry
was well established, a weaving school having been established in 1763. In
1837 the railway arrived from Dundee. By the mid 19thC the local textile
industry had become mechanised with power looms taking over from home based