just west of Perth.
Huntingtower was originally built by
the Ruthven family in the 15thC although they had held the lands since the
13thC. Originally called the House of Ruthven.
The Ruthvens fought with Robert the
Bruce and were made Sheriffs of Perth in 1313.
Exceptional painting on ceilings dated
of Scots visited in 1565 while on honeymoon with Darnley.
There is a legend of the Ruthven daughter,
Dorothy, leaping between the towers to avoid being found by her mother in
her lover's bedroom!
James VI, when aged 15, was held there
forcibly in 1582. In revenge, James later executed the perpetrators of the
plot, proscribed the name Ruthven and seized the castle and lands. Since
then the castle has been known as Huntingtower.
The Earl of Tullibardine gained the
property in 1663 and it passed to the Duke of Atholl in 1676.
Lord George Murray, the Jacobite commander,
was born there in 1694.