At Blair Atholl just
north of Pitlochry.
Seat of the Dukes of Atholl.
Originally built by the Comyn family,
Blair Castle itself dates back to 1269 but has been much modified in the
centuries since, most of the present castle being 18-19thC.
of Scots stayed here in 1564.
Garrisoned by the Marquis of Montrose
in 1644 but almost destroyed by Cromwellian forces in 1653.
John Graham of Claverhouse was brought
there after his death at nearby Battle of Killiecrankie in 1689.
Castle was besieged again in 1745-46
by both Government and the Jacobite forces of Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie
Prince Charlie). This was the last seige of a castle anywhere in the UK.
Queen Victoria stayed in 1844 when
she gave the Duke the honour of being allowed to form a private army, the
Atholl Highlanders, Europe's only still in existence.