The red stone towns
of Blairgowrie and it's sister Rattray lie on either side of the River Ericht
where it emerges from spectacular gorges in Strathmore.
The town became a burgh in 1634. The
military road north to Braemar was opened in 1724.
By the end of the 18thC the Blairgowrie
area was a huge centre for the growing of flax. Initially the linen weaving
industry was home based but the first industrial mill was erected in 1798.
Others followed throughout the 19thC. In 1855 the railway arrived as a branch
line from Coupar Angus.
Recently the area has become the focus
of Perthshire's soft fruit growing, specially raspberries.
Nearby Rosemount golf course was designed
by some of the great early names of Scottish golf and is considered one of
the best inland courses in Scotland.
Between Blairgowrie and
Dunkeld lies the Loch of Lowes, a Scottish Wildlife
Trust reserve where you can watch otters or the rare osprey.
To the north lies the Spittal of Glenshee
with Scotland's largest skiing area. Blairgowrie is a common stopover for
skiers travelling to and from the ski slopes.